Title: Anna Nicole
Style: Opera, Contemporary
Format: MP3 FLAC APE WMA MP4 MIDI AHX WAV AAC
FLAC size: 1680 mb | MP3 size: 1294 mb | WMA size: 1622 mb
Chorus – Royal Opera Chorus. Chorus Master – Renato Balsadonna. Composed By – Mark-Anthony Turnage. Concertmaster – Vasko Vassilev. Conductor – Antonio Pappano. Liner Notes – Hugo Shirley. Orchestra – Orchestra Of The Royal Opera House. Producer – James Whitbourn. Set Designer – Miriam Buether. Voice – Eva-Maria Westbroek. Voice – Rebecca de Pont Davies. Voice – Grant Doyle.
Cast Eva-Maria Westbroek (Anna Nicole) Gerald Finley (The Lawyer Stern) Alan Oke (Old Man Marshall) Susan Bickley (Virgie) The Orchestra of the Royal Opera House; Antonio Pappano. Production Company: The Royal Opera Stage Director: Richard Jones. Disc Information Catalogue Number: OA1054D Date of Performance: 2011 Running Time: 120 minutes Sound: . LPCM + . (. ) DTS Aspect Ratio: 16:9 Anamorphic Subtitles: EN, FR, DE, ES Label: Opus Arte. Disc Information Catalogue Number: OABD7088D Date of Performance: 2011 Running Time: 120 minutes Sound: . ) DTS Aspect Ratio: 1080i High Definition, 16:9 Subtitles: EN, FR, DE, ES Label: Opus Arte.
Royal Opera Chorus & Orchestra of the Royal Opera House. Antonio Pappano (conductor) & Richard Jones (director). Eva-Maria Westbroek (Anna Nicole), Alan Oke (Old Man Marshall), Gerald Finley (The Lawyer Stern), Susan Bickley (Virgie), Jeremy White (Daddy Hogan), Loré Lixenberg (Cousin Shelley), Peter Hoare (Larry King), Rebecca de Pont Davies (Aunt Kay), Dominic Rowntree (Older Daniel), Allison Cook (Blossom), Andrew Rees (Doctor), Grant Doyle (Billy) & Wynne Evans (Mayor); John Parricelli (guitar), John Paul Jones (bass guitarist), Peter Erskine (drummer)
English director Richard Jones made his Royal Opera debut in 1994, directing Der Ring des Nibelungen. He has since returned to direct Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk, L’Heure espagnole/Gianni Schicchi, The Gambler, Anna Nicole (world premiere), Il trittico, Gloriana, Boris Godunov, La bohème (revived in the 2019/20 Season) and Kát’a Kabanová for The Royal Opera. Eva-Maria Westbroek as Anna Nicole in Anna Nicole. Angela Denoke as Paulina and Roberto Saccà as Alexey Ivanovitch in The Gambler. Artists of The Royal Opera in Anna Nicole. Patricia Racette as Giorgetta, Lucio Gallo as Michele in Il tabarro.
Composer Mark-Anthony Turnage and Richard Thomas, writer of Jerry Springer The Opera, have seized on her real life drama and created a jazzy, colourful show that packs a mighty punch. Anna Nicole Smith hit the headlines over her second marriage to J Howard Marshall, an oil-rich octogenarian 62 years her senior. His family contested the former Playmate of the Year’s claim on the estate when her husband died in 1995, a year after their marriage. Turnage and Thomas have created a morality play that reveals the underside of the American Dream. Anna Nicole is seen first as a teenager growing up in small town Texas, then as low-paid worker and single mother at Wal-Mart, before she joins a lap-dancing club.
Westbroek, Bickley; Finley, Oke; Royal Opera Chorus, Orchestra of the Royal Opera House, Pappano. Production: R. Jones. Opus Arte OA 1054 D (DVD) or OA BD7088 D (Blu-ray), 120 mins. In her first major role in English, Dutch soprano Eva-Maria Westbroek offers a completely believable portrait of Anna Nicole Smith. She is crass but vaguely charming in the early scenes, manipulative and self-serving at the height of Smith's career, and almost a sympathetic character by the very end. A high point is her final aria, in which Smith curses the American Dream she has so relentlessly pursued and exploited. Anna Nicole's mother, ably depicted by Susan Bickley, participates in the action but also functions a bit like a Greek chorus.
Anna Nicole is an English opera in 2 acts and 16 scenes, with music by Mark-Anthony Turnage to an English libretto by Richard Thomas. Based on the life of Anna Nicole Smith, the opera received its première on 17 February 2011 at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, London, directed by Richard Jones. A recording of the opera was broadcast on BBC Four and BBC iPlayer on 25 March 2011. The broadcast drew in 67,700 viewers. The opera received its first London revival at Covent Garden in September 2014.
- Copyright (c) – Royal Opera House
- Copyright (c) – Opus Arte
- Recorded At – Royal Opera House
- Published By – Boosey & Hawkes Music Publishers Ltd
- Published By – Moncur Street Music Ltd.
- Bass Guitar – John Paul Jones
- Choreography – Aletta Collins
- Chorus – Royal Opera Chorus*
- Chorus Master – Renato Balsadonna
- Composed By – Mark-Anthony Turnage
- Concertmaster – Vasko Vassilev
- Conductor – Antonio Pappano
- Design [Costumes] – Nicky Gillibrand
- Directed By – Richard Jones
- Drums – Peter Erskine
- Electric Guitar – John Parricelli
- Film Director – Francesca Kemp
- Film Producer – Lucinda Duxbury
- Libretto By, Liner Notes – Richard Thomas
- Lighting Director – D.M. Wood, Mimi Jordan Sherin
- Liner Notes – Hugo Shirley
- Orchestra – Orchestra Of The Royal Opera House*
- Producer – James Whitbourn
- Set Designer – Miriam Buether
- Voice [Anna Nicole] – Eva-Maria Westbroek
- Voice [Aunt Kay] – Rebecca de Pont Davies
- Voice [Billy] – Grant Doyle
- Voice [Blossom] – Alison Cook
- Voice [Daddy Hogan] – Jeremy White
- Voice [Daniel] – Dominic Rowntree
- Voice [Doctor Yes] – Andrew Rees
- Voice [J. Howard Marshall II] – Alan Oke
- Voice [Larry King] – Peter Hoare
- Voice [Shelley] – Loré Lixenberg
- Voice [Stern] – Gerald Finley
- Voice [Trucker] – Jeffrey Lloyd-Roberts
- Voice [Virgie] – Susan Bickley
NotesLive recording on 26th February 2011
Running time approx 120 minutes (Opera) + 9 minutes (Feature)
Sung in English with French, German and Spanish subtitles
1080i High Definition, 16:9 Anamorphic, LPCM 24-bit stereo, 5.1 DTS HD-Master Audio
Barcode and Other Identifiers
- Barcode: 8 09478 07088 7